For the last few holidays, I was contributing a dessert you may know as “slutty brownies.” They’re amazing, but very rich. And, I’m more of a chocolate chip cookie girl, so I wanted to bake something chocolate chip cookie-ish for Easter.
Hence, these bars.
I’ve had them pinned forever and never got around to making them, but now that I have, I feel like this recipe will be a staple. It’s from Averie Cooks and she’s got a ton of other “cookie bar” recipes you should check out if you like this one.
Chocolate Chip M&M Cookie Bar Recipe
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tbl vanilla extract
- 1 c flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c brown sugar (I used light)
- 1 c M&Ms (I used milk chocolate, but the original recipe suggestions crispy, which also sounds delicious!)
- 1/2 c semi sweet chocolate chips
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place aluminum foil in a square pan (the one I used was 8×8), then spray with cooking spray. (I made two batches of these cookie bars. The first was just with a greased pan and the second was with the aluminum foil. You will thank yourself a zillion times over for using the foil.)
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter.
- In a separate bowl, add vanilla and brown sugar. Then add melted butter (let it cool a bit before you do) and egg. Stir until it’s creamy.
- To this mixture, add flour and salt, and combine.
- Finally, add the M&Ms and chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly in pan.
- OPTIONAL: Add extra M&Ms and chocolate chips to the top (pressing in just a bit so it sticks in the mixture).
- Cook for 25-30 minutes.