Carbs are my weakness, especially if they’re sweet (I’m looking at you, cookies and muffins). But I’m trying really hard to lose some weight, so 600-calorie muffins don’t quite fit into my day.
Thankfully, I stumbled across a recipe on Reddit for Jumbo Banana Carrot Muffins that are only about 160 calories each! (The original recipe comes from Taste of Home.)
The best part? The muffins are huge, filling, and delicious.
(Makes approx. 8 muffins)
- 1/2 cup all purpose
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Sugar Free Vermont Butter Flavored Syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 boxes raisins
- In a large bowl, combine the two types of flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs for approx. 30 seconds or so until thoroughly mixed.Beat in maple syrup and orange peel. Fold in the bananas, carrots, and applesauce.
- Stir wet mixture into dry ingredients just until blended.
- Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.